Do you see yourself as the next Richard Branson running your own business? An AS level in Business could help you get there, exploring topics relevant to today's society, such as the nature of business, employee engagement and developing your skills in decision-making and problem-solving.
This course is one of our new Gold Star AS levels. Find out more about them here.
Duration of study
- The nature and purpose of business
- Different business forms
- The external environment
Section 2 - Management
- Management, leadership and decision-making
- Management decision-making
- Role and importance of stakeholders
Section 3 - Marketing performance
- Setting marketing objectives
- Understanding markets and customers
- Making marketing decisions
- Using the marketing mix
- Influences on the marketing mix
Section 4 - Operational performance
- Setting operational objectives
- Analysing operational performance
- Increasing efficiency and productivity
- Improving quality
- Managing inventory and supply chains
Section 5 - Financial performance
- Setting financial objectives
- Analysing financial performance
- Making financial decisions
Section 6 - Human resource performance
- Setting human resource objectives
- Analysing HR performance
- Organisational design
- Improving motivation and engagement
- Improving employer-employee relations
Exams and assessment
- 1 hour 30 minutes, 50% of marks
- 1 hour 30 minutes, 50% of marks
Non-exam assessment (NEA):
This course has:
- 1 introductory assignment
- 6 assignments
Set texts and resources
- AQA A-level Business For AS, I Marcousé, A Hammond and N Watson, Hodder Education 2015
- Maths Skills for A Level Business Studies, D Mansell, Oxford University Press 2014
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OSX 10.7 or later
- Google Chrome OS
- Android 4.4 or later, using the Chrome browser
- iOS 6 or later, using the Safari browser
- Google Chrome (latest version)
- Mozilla Firefox (latest version)
- Safari 6 or later
- Internet Explorer 10 or later (excluding IE11)
learn@nec may work on other operating systems and browsers with some restrictions. You can see full details of the system requirements by clicking here.
How to enrol
- Click the ‘Enrol now’ button above.
- Telephone us on 0800 389 2839 or +44(0)1223 400200 and speak to our course advice team.
- Ask us to send you an enrolment form which you can complete and return by post.
Paying in instalments
Amount of credit:
Duration of agreement:
Rate of interest:
0% APR representative.
The National Extension College (NEC) is the trading name of the Open School Trust, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 676788). Finance is provided through the Deko platform by a number of lenders. You will be offered the best rate available based on your credit history and the lenders’ credit decision policies.
Deko is a trading name of Pay4Later Ltd who act as a credit intermediary. They are registered in England and Wales (company number 06447333) and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 728646). For more information please go to www.dekopay.com/faq or visit www.dekopay.com.
Thank you for your interest in this course.
Please fill out your details below, and you will receive an email containing a link to download the course sample.
What our students say...
"The college I attended didn't offer the course I wanted to do so distance learning seemed appropriate while I was at college. I found it easy to study as you could do it on your own time, with no deadlines. I couldn't decide what I wanted to study at university, business being a possibility, so wanted a taster before I signed up to do a degree in the subject."
— Emma Webb