AS level French is a good foundation for a variety of careers. This course aims to equip you to deal with everyday social and work situations in French-speaking countries. You will also study the language of contemporary French media.
Would you prefer to pay for your course by instalments? Please see the ‘How to enrol’ section below for details of our low cost, interest free finance available.
This course is one of our new Gold Star AS levels. Find out more about them here.
A GCSE or equivalent in French is recommended for this course.
Hours of study
It's really up to you but, as a guide, an AS level course takes about 120-150 hours plus extra time for assignment work you submit to your tutor. You will have tutor support for a period of up to 24 months from the date of enrolment. Some students allow 18-24 months to complete an AS level, but others complete the course within a year.
Exams and assessment
- 1 hour 45 minutes, 45% of marks
- 1 hour 30 minutes, 25% of marks
One oral exam, 30% of marks:
The oral exam is 12 to 14 minutes. Please refer to this page for more detailed information about how to take your oral exam through NEC.
Non-exam assessment (NEA):
NEC's tutor-marked assignments:
- 1 introductory assignment
Active e-book versions of this text will be included free with your course:
AQA A level French, R Hares, C D'Angelo, L Léchelle and JC Gilles, Hodder Education 2016
- Au revoir Les Enfants, Louis Malle (film)
Modern Languages Study Guides: Au revoir les enfants: Film Study Guide for AS/A-level French, K Harrington, Hodder Education 2017
Your course is delivered online through learn@nec, so it’s important that you have access to a computer and the internet. We recommend that your computer is using one of the following operating systems and browsers to improve your experience of using learn@nec:
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OSX 10.7 or later
- Google Chrome OS
- Android 4.4 or later, using the Chrome browser
- iOS 6 or later, using the Safari browser
- Google Chrome (latest version)
- Mozilla Firefox (latest version)
- Safari 6 or later
- Internet Explorer 10 or later (excluding IE11)
learn@nec may work on other operating systems and browsers with some restrictions. You can see full details of the system requirements by clicking here.
How to enrol
How to enrol
There are several ways to enrol with NEC:
- Click the ‘Enrol now’ button above
- Telephone us on 0800 389 2839 or +44(0)1223 400200 and speak to our course advice team
- Ask us to send you an enrolment form which you can complete and return by post.
How can you pay?
It’s your choice: you can pay in full at the point of enrolment, or you can spread the cost over monthly instalments with our finance offer. To pay in instalments you will need to enrol by telephone.
Amount of credit:
Duration of agreement:
Rate of interest:
0% APR representative.
The National Extension College (NEC) is the trading name of the Open School Trust, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 676788). Finance is provided through the Deko platform by a number of lenders. You will be offered the best rate available based on your credit history and the lenders’ credit decision policies.
Deko is a trading name of Pay4Later Ltd who act as a credit intermediary. They are registered in England and Wales (company number 06447333) and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 728646). For more information please go to www.dekopay.com/faq or visit www.dekopay.com.
Section 1 - La famille et la cybersociété
Notre famille est spéciale
Se marier – oui ou non?
Que de soucis!
La technologie et la vie quotidienne
La technologie et les jeunes
Section 2 - La cybersocieté et le bénévolat
- Les pièges de plus en plus sophistiqués de la cybersociété
- Le boom technologique en Afrique francophone
- L’Afrique francophone
- Aider les défavorisés – pourquoi et comment?
- Le bénévolat transforme les vies
- Une expérience de volontaire
- Le bénévolat en France
Section 3 - Culture et musique francophone
- C’est quoi exactement, le patrimoine?
- Le patrimoine – un atout pour le tourisme?
- Architecture et gastronomie
- Peut-on créer du patrimoine moderne?
- Le patrimoine culturel
- Sauvez la musique francophone!
- Connaissez-vous la musique francophone contemporaine?
- La chanson française
Section 4 - Musique et cinéma
- Vous écoutez de la musique francophone?
- La musique francophone africaine
- Le cinéma: un art populaire
- Les moments forts du cinéma en France
- La passion du cinéma
- La cinéma français
Section 5 - Literature and film 1
- This section will focus on the set text or film for AS French