Do you go to France for work or on holiday? This course is for you if you are keen to learn French and have a little knowledge. You will develop your vocabulary and understanding of French so that you can take part in French society.
This course is one of our new Gold Star International GCSEs. Find out more about them here. The first opportunity sit exams for this course is 2019.
Duration of study
- House and home
- School life and routine
Section 2 - Food, health and the media
- Food and drink
- Common ailments and healthy lifestyles
- Media – TV and film
Section 3 - Family and friends
- Relationships with family and friends
- Daily routine and helping at home
- Hobbies and interests
Section 4 - Holidays and special occasions
- Special occasions
- Tourist information and directions
- Life in the town and rural life
- Shopping and money matters
- Public services
- Environmental issues
- Weather and climate
- Everyday life in a French-speaking country
- Customs and festivals
- Travel and transport
- School rules and pressures
- School trips, events, exchanges
- The importance of sport
- Accidents and injuries
- The world of work
- Future plans
- Work, volunteering, careers
- Communication – by internet, mobile phone, email, social media
- Keeping informed – radio, newspapers, TV, online
Exams and assessment
- 30 minutes, 25% of marks
- 1 hour 45 minutes, 50% of marks
- One oral exam, 25% of marks:
The oral exam is 8 to 10 minutes. Please refer to this page for more detailed information about how to take your oral exam through NEC.
Non-exam assessment (NEA):
This course has:
- 1 introductory assignment
- 10 assignments
Set texts and resources
- French for Edexcel International GCSE (Second Edition), S Chevrier-Clarke, JC Gilles, K Harrington, W O'Mahony, V March, K Thathapudi and J Witt, Hodder Education 2017
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OSX 10.7 or later
- Google Chrome OS
- Android 4.4 or later, using the Chrome browser
- iOS 6 or later, using the Safari browser
- Google Chrome (latest version)
- Mozilla Firefox (latest version)
- Safari 6 or later
- Internet Explorer 10 or later (excluding IE11)
learn@nec may work on other operating systems and browsers with some restrictions. You can see full details of the system requirements by clicking here.
How to enrol
- Click the ‘Enrol now’ button above.
- Telephone us on 0800 389 2839 or +44(0)1223 400200 and speak to our course advice team.
- Ask us to send you an enrolment form which you can complete and return by post.
Paying in instalments
Amount of credit:
Duration of agreement:
Rate of interest:
0% APR representative.
The National Extension College (NEC) is the trading name of the Open School Trust, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 676788). Finance is provided through the Deko platform by a number of lenders. You will be offered the best rate available based on your credit history and the lenders’ credit decision policies.
Deko is a trading name of Pay4Later Ltd who act as a credit intermediary. They are registered in England and Wales (company number 06447333) and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 728646). For more information please go to www.dekopay.com/faq or visit www.dekopay.com.