The benefits of studying philosophy extend far beyond the subject itself. It promotes independent thinking and improves your ability to produce rational arguments. AS level Philosophy explores some of the big questions concerning reality and existence.
This course is one of our new Gold Star AS levels. Find out more about them here.
Duration of study
- Philosophical terminology
- What is knowledge?
- Responses to Gettier
Section 2 - Perception as a source of knowledge
- Direct realism
- Indirect realism
- Berkeley's idealism
Section 3 - Reason as a source of knowledge
- Rationalism, empiricism and innatism
- Empiricism: the tabula rasa argument
- The intuition and deduction thesis
- Empiricist responses
- Scepticism: the limits of knowledge
Section 4 - Normative ethical theories
- Introduction to ethics
- Kantian ethics
- Aristotelian virtue ethics
Section 5 - Meta-ethics and applied ethics
- Moral realism
- Moral anti-realism
- Applied ethics
Exams and assessment
- 3 hours, 100% of marks
Non-exam assessment (NEA):
This course has:
- 1 introductory assignment
- 5 assignments
Set texts and resources
- Philosophy for AS and A Level: Epistemology and Moral Philosophy, M Lacewing, Routledge 2017
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OSX 10.7 or later
- Google Chrome OS
- Android 4.4 or later, using the Chrome browser
- iOS 6 or later, using the Safari browser
- Google Chrome (latest version)
- Mozilla Firefox (latest version)
- Safari 6 or later
- Internet Explorer 10 or later (excluding IE11)
learn@nec may work on other operating systems and browsers with some restrictions. You can see full details of the system requirements by clicking here.
How to enrol
- Click the ‘Enrol now’ button above.
- Telephone us on 0800 389 2839 or +44(0)1223 400200 and speak to our course advice team.
- Ask us to send you an enrolment form which you can complete and return by post.
Paying in instalments
Amount of credit:
Duration of agreement:
Rate of interest:
0% APR representative.
The National Extension College (NEC) is the trading name of the Open School Trust, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 676788). Finance is provided through the Deko platform by a number of lenders. You will be offered the best rate available based on your credit history and the lenders’ credit decision policies.
Deko is a trading name of Pay4Later Ltd who act as a credit intermediary. They are registered in England and Wales (company number 06447333) and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 728646). For more information please go to www.dekopay.com/faq or visit www.dekopay.com.
Thank you for your interest in this course.
Please fill out your details below, and you will receive an email containing a link to download the course sample.