While writing is a tremendously enjoyable hobby for a large number of people, for some it’s also a source of income. Our distance learning Writing for a Living course will give you all the knowledge and skills you need to give you the best possible chance of getting your work published. You’ll learn about the different publishing platforms and the differing demands they place on the writer, including which outlet would be most suitable for your work. You’ll also pick up some tips on getting started as a freelancer. Completing this home study Writing for a Living course will equip you with all the help you need to turn a hobby into a profession.
Duration of study
- Identifying your goals and dreams
- Analysing what you have to sell
- Identifying and establishing a market
- Promoting yourself and your work
- Your working methods
- Freelance finances
- 3 assignments
Set texts and resources
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OSX 10.7 or later
- Google Chrome OS
- Android 4.4 or later, using the Chrome browser
- iOS 6 or later, using the Safari browser
- Google Chrome (latest version)
- Mozilla Firefox (latest version)
- Safari 6 or later
- Internet Explorer 10 or later (excluding IE11)
learn@nec may work on other operating systems and browsers with some restrictions. You can see full details of the system requirements by clicking here.
How to enrol
- Click the ‘Enrol now’ button above.
- Telephone us on 0800 389 2839 or +44(0)1223 400200 and speak to our course advice team.
- Ask us to send you an enrolment form which you can complete and return by post.
Thank you for your interest in this course.
Please fill out your details below, and you will receive an email containing a link to download the course sample.
What our students say...
"The NEC materials were very good. They helped break the subject down into clear goals, followed by questions and short tests for each learning goal. They were great and made it a lot easier to work through."
— Karen Brayne