About the author: David Breakspear was released from prison in June 2017. While there, with the help of funding through organisations like The Prisoners’ Education Trust, David was able to access distance learning courses from The National Extension College and Open University. Since his release, David has forged a career writing and campaigning for prison reform, and is currently studying for a degree in criminology and psychological studies with the Open University. He was recently featured in The Guardian article Studying in Prison by Rachel Dobbs, published 26 March 2019.

For more information visit David’s website: www.journeyofareformedman.net

‘You can get as much good from changing the work you do as from having a rest’ is a definition of the old adage ‘A change is as good as a rest’. One change I had, in respect of work, was a choice that was forced upon me, not by threats, however. It was a change, forced on me by having to relocate elsewhere.

May 2004, I had taken up residence in a room in North London, but this was only to be a temporary arrangement, so, there was no point in me getting to know anyone or set up any long-term plans, especially knowing that I could be asked to move any day, that day wouldn’t arrive until the following January, the third day of January 2005.

I moved from London to a little village in Suffolk. Blundeston is a village located near to Lowestoft, Suffolk. Lowestoft is famous for being England’s most easterly point, they also have a few large wind farms there off the coast. Which gives another perspective to: ‘gazing out to sea’.
In my 35th year of life, I would have thought the moments in my life which would define me had already been and gone. How wrong was I?

The move, in no time, would be a causation to the permanent breakdown in my relationship with a long-term partner (10 years), who is also the mother to two of my three children, mother to my two sons, I have a daughter, the eldest of the three. Of course, this had a detrimental effect on my mental health at the time, however, looking back, it was probably the best thing to happen, with no disrespect to my sons’ mum, the blame lies completely at my feet. On the back of this event I had received some amazing emotional support, probably for the first time in my life, not only did that have a positive effect on my mental health, it also opened my eyes to the power of lived experience through talking and listening. It had such a profound effect on me, so much so that I started training with the Samaritans in order to be a volunteer via one of their services. I had also begun as a volunteer coordinator and mentor for Shannon Trust, a charity organisation that assists with individual’s literacy skills.

I loved what I was doing. I loved seeing others improve, either their mental health or literacy which I found was inextricably linked, probably more so than enough consideration is given to. I loved the feeling it gave me, and I especially loved this new person I was becoming. I needed to know more, I needed to improve my own knowledge and skill set. I knew I had the experience, based on nothing more than the feedback I was receiving from those I assisted. I spoke to a local careers advisor and together we looked at a course around counselling. It was then that I was handed a National Extension College (NEC) brochure. Flicking through, I saw a two-part course. An introduction to counselling skills, followed by developing counselling skills. Perfect!

One important thing was missing though. Pennies, pound notes, hard cash, not only did I not have it, accessing the amount needed was also very difficult. Fortunately, there was, and still is, an amazing company that, with hardly any stress at all, arranged the funding to pay for the course. (I’ll include their link at the end) In no time at all, with great advice from my career’s advisor, an excellent team at the NEC, and the funding in place, I was able to begin my distance learning course.

Moving, especially after 2004, became common place in my life, right up to present day. So, it was no surprise that as soon as I started the course with NEC, I was on the move again. Prisoners' Education Trust
However, thanks to NEC, and the beauty of distance learning, especially for captured audiences, the transition was easy with no stress attached with the transfer, allowing me to concentrate on my studies immediately after arriving at my new location. An event, that in only six weeks would happen, as once again I moved, although this move, in this overall situation, was my last.

I was released from prison in 2006. I had completed the ‘An introduction to counselling skills’ course prior to my release, however, a set of circumstances would see me spend the next 9 years, in and out of prison, mainly in. Addicted to drugs and alcohol. Homeless. In 2015, I had hit such a rock bottom, I found myself back in prison. The second negative in ten years that proved, once again, to be the best thing to happen. Once again, the saviour of my mind being distance learning, this time I chose to embark on a degree with The Open University. I did, however, have to start with an Access Module, £700 it was. Financing, a problem again because I went in to prison, this time, with only a pair of boxer shorts and a pair socks, sadly, the only possessions in my life, in fact at that time, they were the only things in my life. Step forward, once again, the organisation who had helped me so much back in 2005. The Prisoners’ Education Trust. It would be honest of me to say that I, unfortunately, wasted the 2005 opportunity. I have reasons and excuses as to why. That’s the past.

Distance learning, especially for prisoners, in some circumstances, can be the only way they can improve their lives and rehabilitate, prison does not provide the education necessary to provide skills the job market needs. The majority of companies these days will not look at anything less than a level three in education. It is only through companies and organisations like the National Extension college, and the funding from the incredible Prisoners’ Education Trust, who “since 1989 Prisoners’ Education Trust has been providing access to broader learning opportunities for prisoners to enhance their chances of building a better life after release.”

Education makes the impossible, possible. Distance learning increases that possibility.

Government research has found that access to educational opportunities in prison has a positive impact on people’s lives after their release. Information from the Ministry of Justice’s Data Lab has found that compared to prisoners of similar backgrounds and sentence lengths, PET learners are:

• 25% less likely to reoffend in the first year after release
  • 26% more likely to be in employment in the first year after release (information from www.prisonerseducation.org.uk)

For further information on who we work with, including PET and the Open University click here.

For more information on how the Open University support students in secure environments, click here

For information on support and services from the Prisoners’ Education Trust, click here

(image credit: Prisoners’ Education Trust)