Learning with NEC: how it works
If you want to learn in your own time, without the regular commitment of attending classes, online distance learning is a great choice. You don’t go to college or school, but study at home or at work. With distance learning, you’re in control.
Here’s how an NEC course works.
Choosing the right course. You may already know what you want to study - if not, why not browse through the latest guide to courses?
Is the course right for you? Check the details of the course or call our course advice team. You can also download sample course materials for most courses.
Welcome to NEC. As soon as we enrol you, we’ll email you to confirm and you’ll also hear from your personal tutor.
Get online. You should now access and explore learn@nec, our easy to use online learning platform.
Get started. Study at your own pace and in your own time. Your tutor, the student support team and learn@nec will be with you every step of the way.
Assignments. You’ll find these throughout your course. Your tutor will mark them and give you feedback to help you to progress, learn and prepare for your exams.
Online distance learning is flexible. You choose where to study and when to study, so you can fit it in with your other commitments – a career, bringing up children, looking after older relatives or managing an illness or disability. Courses are delivered through a range of media including videos, e-books and online quizzes.
Learning tip! Some students draw up a timetable. Others prefer to fit in studying whenever they have an hour or two to spare.
Assessment. However your course is assessed, we will be there to help you. If you need to take an exam, take a look at NEC’s partnership exam centres. We’ll also take care of marking any non-examination assessment.
You’ve finished! Well done, the hard work has paid off. Time to request your course completion certificate and celebrate!
What makes an NEC course the best
Our students tell us that they value high quality course materials, expert tutor support and guaranteed exam entry including the marking of the non-examination assessment elements like coursework. We believe that the NEC model of carefully designed learning materials, one-to-one tutor support and exam services, provides our students with the best chance of success. We are proud of what we do and build on over 50 years of experience of supporting students at a distance.
- Engaging content develops interest in the subject
- Getting started guidance and videos
- Course plans, activities and quizzes
- Guidance on answering exam questions
- Assignments to submit to a personal tutor
Personal learning journal
- Expert marking of assignments
- Carefully structured feedback
- Answers to subject-based questions
Academic references if needed
- Course advice before you enrol
- Help with enrolling and arranging payment
- Personal support when needed
- Answers to specific queries about the course, exam or assessment
Forums to discuss ideas with other students and tutors
- Exam pass guarantee
- Mock exam paper marking service
Authentication and marking of coursework if required
- Subject specialists
- Qualified and experienced teachers
- Materials specially written and structured for independent study;
- to meet assessment and exam requirements, and;
to build knowledge and skills
- Study skills
- e-textbooks for some courses
Spelling, punctuation and grammar guides