The following recommendations and settings will improve your experience using learn@nec and ensure access to the activities and tools in your courses.
NEC recommends the Google Chrome browser which you can download for free by clicking here. Below are the minimum requirements for browsers:
- Google Chrome (latest version)
- Mozilla Firefox (latest version)
- Safari 6 or later
- Internet Explorer 10 or later (excluding IE11, please see below)
learn@nec will operate on the following browsers but with some restrictions; NEC cannot provide support if you are using these versions:
- Safari 5: this will not support drag-and-drop uploads
- Internet Explorer 9: this will not support drag-and-drop uploads and may have layout bugs on some pages. These issues may be alleviated by using compatibility mode, please refer to your browser help section to enable this
- Internet Explorer 11: this browser does not fully comply with W3C standards and can result in some formatting and layout issues in particular circumstances, so we do not recommend IE11
- Opera: learn@nec should function correctly using the latest version of Opera, but we cannot provide support if you are using this browser
NEC uses YouTube to deliver video content. You can check the compatibility of your browser with the YouTube HTML5 player by clicking here.
- Firefox help: https://support.mozilla.org/
- Chrome help: http://www.google.com/support/chrome/
- Internet Explorer help: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/internet-explorer/help/
- Safari: go to Safari > Preferences. The settings are located on the Security and Privacy tabs
Below are the minimum requirements for operating systems when using learn@nec:
- Windows 7 or later: note that learn@nec may work on Windows XP and Vista depending on your browser, however these operating systems are not recommended and NEC cannot provide support if you are using these versions
- Mac OSX 10.7 or later
- Google Chrome OS
- Android 4.4 or later, using the Chrome browser
- iOS 6 or later using, the Safari browser
NEC provides some content on video format via YouTube, so the recommended internet bandwidth is dependent on the video format selected:
- 1080p: recommended 4.5 Mbps
- 720p: recommended 2.5 Mbps
- 480p: recommended 1.0 Mbps
You may be able to use learn@nec without the video content with lower internet speeds.
You will be required to work with PDF documents during your course. If your browser does not support PDF display, you may find a PDF reader useful. Adobe Acrobat Reader includes a browser plugin and can be downloaded for free by clicking here.