If you’re interested in getting into management or are already working as a manager, this course, which leads to a recognised award from the Chartered Management Institute (CMI), will increase your skills and knowledge to equip you to become a better leader. Designed for first line managers and supervisors, by completing this course you’ll develop your communication and motivational skills to become a more effective and productive manager.
Duration of study
We offer the First Line Management qualification at three levels: Award, Certificate and Diploma. The Award serves as an introduction to some of the principles of management, helping develop your basic knowledge in this area. The Certificate builds on this knowledge, while giving you the opportunity to go into more detail on areas specific to your management role. The top-level qualification, the Diploma, goes into even more depth, and will comprehensively equip you to become an excellent line manager.
Unit 3001V1: Personal development as a first line manager - six credits
- Personal development plans
- Planning and managing work
- Effective working relationships
- Safeguard the welfare of the team in the working environment
Unit 3002V1: Resource planning - six credits
- Planning resource needs
- Changing resource requirements
- Monitoring and controlling resources
Unit 3003V1: Meeting stakeholder needs - six credits
- Planning to meet stakeholder needs
- Continual improvements to meet stakeholder needs
- Preparing a case for change
Unit 3004V1: Managing and communicating information - six credits
- Gathering and selecting data
- Interpreting data
- Communicating conclusions and recommendations
Unit 3005V1: Identifying development opportunities - six credits
- Leading your team
- Current competencies
- Developing individual and team competencies
Unit 3006V1: Recruitment and selection process - six credits
- The purpose of recruitment and selection
- The recruitment process
- The selection process
Unit 3007V1: Maintaining quality standards - six credits
- Quality and organisation
- Quality and the team
- Quality standards
Unit 3008V1: Improving team performance - seven credits
- Issues that affect performance
- Addressing performance issues
- Resolving performance issues
Unit 3009V1: Management communication - six credits
- The importance of communication
- Briefings, meetings and reports
- Reviewing the effectiveness of communication
Unit 3010V1: Being a leader - six credits
- Leaders and organisations
- Leadership styles
- Leading teams
Unit 3017V1: Introduction to first line management - six credits
- Be able to construct a personal development plan
- Understand stakeholders and their needs
- Understand the need to develop and maintain working relationships
- Be able to manage team performance
Unit 3018V1: Corporate social responsibility - six credits
- Understand the application of Corporate Social Responsibility in an organisation
- Understand the organisational responsibilities for Corporate Social Responsibility
- Understand the relevance of Corporate Social Responsibility to departmental performance
Exams and assessment
- 1 NEC assignment per unit
- 1 CMI assignment per unit
Set texts and resources
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OSX 10.7 or later
- Google Chrome OS
- Android 4.4 or later, using the Chrome browser
- iOS 6 or later, using the Safari browser
- Google Chrome (latest version)
- Mozilla Firefox (latest version)
- Safari 6 or later
- Internet Explorer 10 or later (excluding IE11)
learn@nec may work on other operating systems and browsers with some restrictions. You can see full details of the system requirements by clicking here.
How to enrol
- Telephone us on 0800 389 2839 or +44(0)1223 400200 and speak to our course advice team.
- Ask us to send you an enrolment form which you can complete and return by post.
Paying in instalments
Amount of credit:
Duration of agreement:
Rate of interest:
0% APR representative.
The National Extension College (NEC) is the trading name of the Open School Trust, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 676788). Finance is provided through the Deko platform by a number of lenders. You will be offered the best rate available based on your credit history and the lenders’ credit decision policies.
Deko is a trading name of Pay4Later Ltd who act as a credit intermediary. They are registered in England and Wales (company number 06447333) and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 728646). For more information please go to www.dekopay.com/faq or visit www.dekopay.com.
Thank you for your interest in this course.
Please fill out your details below, and you will receive an email containing a link to download the course sample.
What our students say...
"The certificate enhanced the skills I already had to be a competent line manager. The coursework made me much more confident, and the modules helped me to refine my skills and do my job in a professional way. I also found the support from my tutor invaluable."
— Tracey Petty