You should have a good command of basic English. This is an online course so you will also need access to the internet.
Duration of study
As a guideline, you should allow for between 120 and 150 hours' study time, plus additional time for completing assignments. You will have tutor support for a period up until the final exam opportunity in Summer 2017.
This course follows specification 4EA0 from the awarding organisation Edexcel. Full details of the specification can be obtained from Edexcel's website.
- Audience and purpose
- Plot, setting and atmosphere
- Developing characters and storylines
Unit 2: Personal writing: non-fiction
- Writing to inform, explain and describe
- Writing to explain
- Autobiographical and biographical writing
- Describing experiences
Unit 3: Reading non-fiction texts
- Approaching non-fiction texts
- Magazine articles
- Letters, diaries and journals
- Non-fiction books
- Analysing a text 1
- Analysing a text 2
- Commenting on texts
- Examining newspapers
Unit 4: Writing to argue, persuade and advise
- Planning and presenting your argument
- Writing your ideas
- Writing to persuade
- Persuasive writing: approaching the question
- Writing to advise
Unit 5: The Edexcel Anthology
- Themes in the Anthology
- The effects of language 1
- The effects of language 2
- Voice and purpose
- Texts and audience
- The effects of language 3
- Approaching essays
- The effects of poetry
- Analysis of prose
Exams and assessment
- 2 hours 15 minutes, 67% of marks
- 1 hour 30 minutes, 33% of marks
Non-exam assessment (NEA):
Assignments do not contribute towards your final grade but provide you with an opportunity submit work to your tutor for marking and feedback. This will help you to gauge your progress as you work through the course.
This course has 9 assignments.
Set texts and resources
This course is entirely self-contained so no additional textbooks are required.
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OSX 10.7 or later
- Google Chrome OS
- Android 4.4 or later, using the Chrome browser
- iOS 6 or later, using the Safari browser
- Google Chrome (latest version)
- Mozilla Firefox (latest version)
- Safari 6 or later
- Internet Explorer 10 or later (excluding IE11)
learn@nec may work on other operating systems and browsers with some restrictions. You can see full details of the system requirements by clicking here.
How to enrol
- Click the ‘Enrol now’ button above
- Telephone us on 0800 389 2839 or +44(0)1223 400200 and speak to our course advice team
- Ask us to send you an enrolment form which you can complete and return by post.
Paying in instalments
Amount of credit:
Duration of agreement:
Rate of interest:
0% APR representative.
NEC acts as a credit intermediary and only offers credit through Pay4Later with Omni Capital finance. Finance is offered subject to age and status. Other options available, please contact us for details or to enrol.