We are sorry, but this course is no longer available.
Duration of study
- Discovering and using the law
- Sources of law – keeping up to date
- Practical legal skills – reading a case
Module 1 - The nature and institutions of law
- Why society needs law
- Classification of law
- How and why law needs to change
- Criminal and civil courts
- The court system and the administration of law
- The personnel of the law
Module 2 - Legal processes
- Statute law
- Case law
- Changing the law
- Police powers
- The criminal and civil processes
- Sources of legal advice and funding a claim
Module 3 - The law of tort
- Occupiers' liability
- Nuisance and trespass
- General defences to tort
Module 4 - Criminal law
- Introduction to crime
- Fatal offences against the person
- Non-fatal offences against the person
- Property offences
- Defences to crime and sentencing
Module 5 - Family law
- Marriage, separation and divorce
- After divorce
- Wills and the law of succession
Module 6 - Rights and responsibilities
- Contract and consumer law
- Contracts of employment
- Rights and freedoms under the law
Exams and assessment
- 1 hour 30 minutes, 50% of marks
- 1 hour 30 minutes, 50% of marks
Non-exam assessment (NEA):
This course has:
- 1 introductory assignment
- 16 assignments
Set texts and resources
The following textbooks are suggestions:
- GCSE Law, J Martin, Hodder Education 2009
- AQA GCSE Law Student’s Book, A Jones and T Page, Nelson Thornes 2009
Some online databases may charge a fee for access to their resources.
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OSX 10.7 or later
- Google Chrome OS
- Android 4.4 or later, using the Chrome browser
- iOS 6 or later, using the Safari browser
- Google Chrome (latest version)
- Mozilla Firefox (latest version)
- Safari 6 or later
- Internet Explorer 10 or later (excluding IE11)
learn@nec may work on other operating systems and browsers with some restrictions. You can see full details of the system requirements by clicking here.
How to enrol
- Click the ‘Enrol now’ button above.
- Telephone us on 0800 389 2839 or +44(0)1223 400200 and speak to our course advice team.
- Ask us to send you an enrolment form which you can complete and return by post.
Paying in instalments
Amount of credit:
Duration of agreement:
Rate of interest:
0% APR representative.
The National Extension College (NEC) is the trading name of the Open School Trust, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 676788). Finance is provided through the Deko platform by a number of lenders. You will be offered the best rate available based on your credit history and the lenders’ credit decision policies.
Deko is a trading name of Pay4Later Ltd who act as a credit intermediary. They are registered in England and Wales (company number 06447333) and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (register number 728646). For more information please go to www.dekopay.com/faq or visit www.dekopay.com.
Thank you for your interest in this course.
Please fill out your details below, and you will receive an email containing a link to download the course sample.
What our students say...
"I enjoyed the flexibility in organising my own time and being able to go at a rate which suited me. I’d say distance learning is a great option, particularly if you are self-motivated or independent."
— Josh Donegani